Most people want to help others. Unfortunately, many people do not have extra money to give away. The good news is there are other ways people can go about helping families in need. Most of us have clothing we no longer wear that can go towards military support or towards helping military families. Here are some of the ways this can be a great way to give back to society.
- You help fund the charities. It has been estimated that people across the United States buy about 10 pounds of youth clothing each year. Approximately $5.8 billion was donated to charities in 2007. Many of these nonprofit organizations have thrift shops as part of their operation. The money raised in those shops goes to fund their important programs and operations. By donating your clothes, you can do a lot to keep them up and running and providing military support and to help others who need it.
- You help people who do not have the money to buy clothing. Low price clothing can be a lifesaver for many people who are not able to afford clothing any other way. The thrift stores sell used clothing at prices that people, of all incomes, can afford. This is an important service for many people in the community and is often the only way some people can afford to clothe their families. Therefore, in addition to helping the charities do their good work. Your clothing donations help people directly.
- Many charities use clothing donations to help disaster victims. There are a wide number of nonprofit organizations use the donations people make to help people after a disaster. This is an important thing that you can do to help others. When disaster strikes, many nonprofits rise the challenge to help others. In fact, some of these organizations leaving pick up your donations. So if you’re looking help others, you do not even have to leave your home.
- You will do some good for the environment. The typical person will generate 4.5 pounds of trash each day. That end ups being nearly 1.5 tons of trash every year. When clothing goes to a landfill, as opposed to being donated to charities for military support, it contributes to global warming. Moreover, donating clothes to charity means that need more clothing does not need to be made. One good example of how you can help the environment is by reducing the amount of polyester fiber that needs to be made. That production process puts a normal strain on the environment.You will do a lot to reduce your carbon footprint by making these donations.
- You will help people suffering from disease. Many charities that help people who are suffering from disease except clothing donations. When they sell your clothes in their thrift stores, it helps fund their operations. Many of these charities rely on the funding from their thrift stores to keep their doors open.
- Donating clothing helps you get your closet in order. Organizing specialists, such as Tim Gunn, recommend taking some time to go through your closet once a year. Any clothing that you have not worn in that time should be gotten rid of. Just because you no longer have a use for an article of clothing does not mean someone else cannot use it. If you have children, donating their clothing as they grow out of it to be a great way for helping families in need.
- You get to lower your tax bill. The the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers clothing donations to be similar to cash donations. If you donate clothing that is worth more than $250, you need to get documentation from the charity. This is another reason why donating clothing for good idea. You get a tax break, you help the charity and provide help to people who need it. That is a triple benefit.
At least 94.5% of people in the United States make some donation to charity throughout the year. By donating your used clothing you can do a lot to provide military support and to help other people who need the assistance. This is something that most people can do to help others.